WHO WE ARE
THE MISSION OF UNION CHURCH
We seek to respond to God’s call for justice by working to remedy systemic causes of social, political, and economic injustice through education and advocacy, rather than providing charity alone.
Our Ministry’s Charter Calls Us To
- Take responsibility for helping the church and its members to live out Jesus’ simple charge to “do justice.”
- Study the Bible and other sources in order to understand, teach, and celebrate in worship the nature of Christian social justice as God’s dream of shalom on earth—well being for everyone.
- Help members of the Church to assess the state of Christian social justice in contemporary life and identify the conditions and barriers to its realization.
- Advise and support individuals and organizations at all levels—local, regional, national, and international, striving to overcome fundamental barriers to justice and striving to promote God’s shalom.
How We Serve
In pursuit of this charter the Christian Social Justice Ministry engages in the following activities:
- Direct advocacy through meetings with legislators and participation in advocacy events.
- Letter writing campaigns around specific issues of social justice.
- Classes and seminars to inform members of the congregation about specific issues of social justice.
- Moments for Justice from the pulpit to inform members about issues and opportunities for advocacy.
- Direct contributions from our budget to organizations that engage in advocacy for justice.
- Administer Hank Maxwell Memorial Fund through the Hank Maxwell Peace & Justice Committee