The members of the Worship Ministry serve as liaisons between the congregation and the ministerial staff in creating and maintaining the various worship experiences that serve the diverse needs of the Union Church membership. We make every effort to be aware of and responsive to the varying needs of the congregation. Our standing committees (described below) support different aspects of the church’s worship needs from the physical to the spiritual.
How We Serve
Standing Committee Duties
- Order poinsettias and lilies for Christmas Eve and Easter, respectively, and coordinate distribution of these plants to shut-ins.
- Choose banners for display in sanctuary.
- Select antependia (liturgical cloths hanging from pulpit) to reflect the church year.
- Recruit, train and schedule ushers.
- Detailed Usher Information.
- Recruit and coordinate greeters for Sunday services.
- Prepare elements for communion.
- Recruit volunteers to serve communion monthly at Sunday services, as well as at other special services throughout the year.
- Secure lay participants for Sunday services as needed.
- Operate sound system for each Sunday service.
- Coordinate resources for Wednesday evening Lenten services (i.e. ushers, readers, fellowship, etc.) when necessary.
- Plan and prepare Ash Wednesday “simple suppers.”
- Affirm each baptism, leading the congregation in a promissory pledge to the child and presenting a baptismal certificate and symbolic candle to the parents.
- Inform congregation via The Good News of decisions relating to worship and upcoming worship–related events.
12/8 – Christmas Concert – “And the Angels Sing” – 10:00 a.m. worship service
12/15 – Allegrezza presents “The Night Before Christmas” – 3:00 p.m.
12/22 – Children’s Christmas Pageant “In Those Days” – 10:00 a.m. worship service
Chancel Choir – Wednesday nights, end of August through May, 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. We encourage High School students and adults of all ages to join us. Chancel Choir leads in weekly worship services September through May. We sing music from all styles and have three concerts during the year. Contact Stephen C Edwards for more information –firstname.lastname@example.org
Children’s Music – We rehearse periodically through the year. We have auditions for the exciting pageant, “In Those Days…”, on November 17 following the 10:00 a.m. worship service in the choir room. Children preschool through 5th grade. Children’s Music offers a yearly Christmas Pageant, and various programs throughout the year. Currently, children are learning handbells on Sunday mornings immediately following the 9:07 worship service through beginning of Sunday School. Contact Stephen C Edwards for more information – sedwards@uchinsdale.
Union Bells – Rehearses Tuesday nights from 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. Adults of all ages who read music are encouraged to ring. Union Bells leads in worship periodically throughout the school year. We also play in the Christmas Concert and on Music Sunday every year. Contact Elizabeth Jung for more information – email@example.com.
Worship Ensemble – is comprised of a professional instrumentalists, our section leaders, and a few other singer/musicians. WE leads music in worship that requires the use of guitar, drums, bass, keyboard and voices. WE brings dynamic variety to our weekly worship services. If you are interested in participating, an audition is required. Contact Stephen C Edwards for more information – sedwards@uchinsdale.
Youth Music – Youth, 6th-12th grade are encouraged to bring their talents. We are looking for soloists, instrumentalists, and ensembles to assist in leading in worship. Contact Stephen C Edwards for more information – sedwards@uchinsdale.
Other Music Opportunities – We are always looking for instrumentalists to assist in leading in worship. If you play an instrument, please let us know by reaching out to Stephen C Edwards for more information – sedwards@uchinsdale.