The members of the Worship Ministry serve as liaisons between the congregation and the ministerial staff in creating and maintaining the various worship experiences that serve the diverse needs of the Union Church membership. We make every effort to be aware of and responsive to the varying needs of the congregation. Our standing committees (described below) support different aspects of the church’s worship needs from the physical to the spiritual.
How We Serve
Standing Committee Duties
- Order poinsettias and lilies for Christmas Eve and Easter, respectively, and coordinate distribution of these plants to shut-ins.
- Choose banners for display in sanctuary.
- Select antependia (liturgical cloths hanging from pulpit) to reflect the church year.
- Recruit, train and schedule ushers.
- Detailed Usher Information.
- Recruit and coordinate greeters for Sunday services.
- Prepare elements for communion.
- Recruit volunteers to serve communion monthly at Sunday services, as well as at other special services throughout the year.
- Secure lay participants for Sunday services as needed.
- Operate sound system for each Sunday service.
- Coordinate resources for Wednesday evening Lenten services (i.e. ushers, readers, fellowship, etc.) when necessary.
- Plan and prepare Ash Wednesday “simple suppers.”
- Affirm each baptism, leading the congregation in a promissory pledge to the child and presenting a baptismal certificate and symbolic candle to the parents.
- Inform congregation via The Good News of decisions relating to worship and upcoming worship–related events.